Thursday, October 7, 2010

Migration 101

The biggest realization about this migration to DC is that - Moving is my KRYPTONITE!  I had no idea that this was my weakness.  I thought I just didn't like it.  I've always told friends I don't help people move because I hate it so don't ask me.  The ONLIEST person I will ever help move anything is my Mama.  And even then, I'll pay somebody to do it for her. So the fact that I had to move for this job did bring on some anxiety but I figured I could handle it since movers would be coming to pack me up and would unpack me upon my arrival in DC. 

Let's take a moment and roll back to 2005.  I bought a house and was actually excited about it.  On closing day, I'd gone to work and had lunch with a client and was excitedly headed out the door to closing.  As I started the 20 minute drive, something came over me and tears started to flow.  By the time I arrived at the office for the closing, I was just one level below hysterical.

Now any of you who've purchased a home know there are a LOT of papers to sign.  After I signed the FIRST paper, I cried a few tears.  By the time, I'd sign the last paper, I was audibly wailing...WAILING!  After that, I had to go buy paint at the Home Depot.  All that poor young fella did was ask me what kind of paint I wanted.  I said the kind that goes on the walls and he drilled down further and asked if I wanted flat or something else...I still don't really know paint.  I just looked at him and tears started to flow.  I slid down the paint counter and sat on the floor of the Home Depot and cried HYSTERICALLY!  That boy couldn't have been more than 22 or 23 and he came around that counter and was patting me on the shoulder telling me it would be ok.

Fast forward to Friday, September 10.  I'd been in a DC hotel since September 1 so I was really looking forward to moving into the house and beginning the process of settling down.  Movers arrived and started bringing things in the house and the heart palpitations began.  Stuff was coming in the house fast and furious and I couldn't keep up with directing the movers around.  Then the internet guy shows up and he doesn't have everything I need for my internet although I was VERY clear when I called to order my internet service.  He kept asking me questions and the movers are still asking me where stuff goes.  More heart palpitations and now tears.  I WANT MY MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Called Mama, felt calmer hearing her voice and reassurance.  Internet man leaves and Directv man shows up.  Poor Directv man...I'm not even sure what he asked me. But whatever it was, it sent me into a bout of Classic KT Hysteria!  I am crying so hard I can't breathe.  Poor man, he comes over and starts patting my shoulder and telling me it was going to be ok (reminiscent of the poor Home Depot boy - I wonder how he's doing).  He kept telling me I had to breathe or I was going to pass out and he went to the kitchen and got me some water.  I'm not sure what he was saying in Spanish. I think he was saying "This is a very nice lady."  I finally calmed down a bit and he started doing his work.  He's upstairs working and I hear a big noise. 

Directv Man: Mam, are you ok?
Me:  I was just about to ask you if you're ok?
Directv Man:  (I hear him walking around upstairs).  Mam, I want you to come upstairs to see something but you have to promise me you're not going to cry. 
Me:  Ok. I promise.

One of the racks I'd had in the bedroom I was converting to my closet had fallen down and all of my clothes were on the floor.  I just looked and walked back downstairs.  Next thing I know another Directv man showed up.  Directv 1 man had called for reinforcement!!!  I think my calm had terrified him.  The two of them stood in the foyer talking in Spanish and every now and then they'd look over at me.  I think Directv Man 1 wanted Directv Man 2 to meet this very nice lady.

After they left, Mama called to check on me and told me to work on organizing the house for just an hour a day.  The next day I started working on it and started having heart palpitations after 5 minutes so now I know my limit. Five minutes at a time.  I've given myself until March, 2011 to be organized.

I will NOT ever again be in charge of moving me.  In the unfortunate event, I have to move again, my mother and my sister (moving and organizing experts) will come to the house and direct movers to pack and then go to the new residence to direct the unpacking/organizing process.  I will take one of my cute weekend bags and go to a hotel and come back when the home is ready for my occupancy. 

Moving  = Kryptonite.
Knowing that moving is my kryptonite = Stress-free living.

No comments:

Post a Comment